Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Writer's Journal--On the Road to Istanbul

I've worked in the airline industry since late 1999. On March 25, I finally qualified for lifetime flight benefits, so I retired from the airlines and--before I begin new endeavors--I'm going to do some traveling. First to New York, then on to Istanbul.

I wouldn't be surprised if this adventure stirs new stories. Not only will I visit Istanbul, the heart of the Byzantine Empire, but I'll be traveling to the legendary site of the ancient city of Troy, the land Homer wrote about in the Iliad and the Odyssey. 


Troy

I'll also be visiting the ancient Roman City of Ephesus...


Artist's rendition of Ephesus


 where it's said the Virgin Mary died in this stone house that still stands there:


Mary's House










I can already feel the history, and I can't wait to see the caves in Cappadocia where early Christians lived, and where their frescoes still exist. 
Cappadocia












I hope to post photos and thoughts on my blog, but internet access may be limited. So here's a video of the tour I'm taking with Gate1 Travel.  



Shalom...happy Easter, Oester, Spring.





No comments: