Saturday, March 30, 2013

5 Stars for Rosy from Big Al's Books & Pals


The banter about Amazon's acquisition of Goodreads propelled me to that site this evening, and there I found a fabulous review for my recent release,Rosy: A Novel from Big Al of Big Al's Books and Pals. The review really made my day, especially since Al really "got" the importance of the music to the story. Every chapter is named (and linked) to a song from the 1970's--check out Rosy's Playlist on this blog to hear them all.

Anyway, thanks Al, for taking the time to read and review my book. You rock! 

Okay, I'm gonna brag now, and republish the review:

At its heart, Rosy is a tense tale of how one easy decision can set us down a path that is hard to reverse. Rosy is easy to like and I quickly became invested in seeing her meet and overcome the challenges she faced. It’s a great coming-of-age story with widespread appeal.

However, for this child of the seventies, the setting made this story even more enjoyable. Tyrpak captured the attitude and climate of the decade perfectly. A nice little touch were the chapter headings, each a song title or a snippet of lyric that summarized the chapter while evoking some musical nostalgia. As a music geek, a link to the song on Amazon made me happy, as 
I was able to quickly answer the question “who sung that” when I was stumped. Those who read the book on a suitable device should even be able to stop for a short musical interlude between chapters while listening to a sample of each song.

 Rating: ***** Five stars

No comments: