Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Guest Post, Nancy Parker--How I Became a Writer



I'm not sure how Nancy Parker stumbled onto my blog, but I'm always delighted to meet new readers and writers. How did a woman majoring in Biomedical Sciences veer off the scientific path and chose the rocky road of writing? Please read Nancy's story.

 

How I became A Writer

Writing was never a profession that I thought I would end up in. I grew up in a home full of engineers and sales reps and if anything, I thought I would have a job in Human Resources or sales. However in high school I had this idea I wanted to work with people and make them feel better. I wanted to be a doctor despite what my GPA was; I wasn’t a bad student but I wasn’t a stellar student. I think it was more of a desperate attempt to impress my parents who seemed more caught up in their divorce lawyers than me.  

So I went off to the university and chose Biomedical Sciences as my major. I was surrounded with studious students and perfectionists. I felt so left out and it was after the first semester that I realized, ‘oh crap, I have to actually attend every class and study everything’. I didn’t feel creative and I was bored. So I was kind of stuck and not sure what I wanted to do, all I knew was my GPA was pretty low and I wanted a major that didn’t require a math or language course.

I sat down in a counselor’s office and looked at a list; my eye was immediately attracted to the word ‘Journalism’. For the first time in my life, I actually got excited about something. I thought about one day writing for a magazine, writing a book or reporting for a newspaper, the ideas were endless. So I chose Journalism. I went into it blindly and not knowing what I was getting myself into, I mean I loved reading and writing in high school and in fact scored higher in those classes than any other class but never gave it a thought. Fast forward a few years, I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Journalism. 

Who knew I would enjoy writing this much? There is something about getting my ideas, feelings, thoughts, emotions and stories out on paper that I can’t get over. It turns out that I am a pretty decent writer and people like my work. I like the idea of talking and interacting with people- I immediately start writing things in my head, little jokes or short stories. I listen to strangers, friends, family and keep mental notes of their words, reactions, facial expressions for inspiration. 

I keep my words simple and short, no fluff. I want my work to be read like you are talking with that person. I like my stories to be funny and relatable. I may not be a prolific writer or even a great one, but that is okay with me. I like to write and will always write. 

Author Bio
Nancy Parker was a professional nanny and she loves to write about wide range of subjects like health, Parenting, Child Care, Babysitting, nanny, www.enannysource.com/ etc. You can reach her @ nancy.parker015 @ gmail.com.

1 comment:

Suzanne Tyrpak said...

Thanks for stopping by, Nancy. Great photo!